Peppermint essential oil is my favorite essential oil. It has numerous uses and benefits. I like to get the food-grade, certified organic essential oil from Dr. Axe so that I can safely use it internally and externally. Here’s nine ways you can enjoy peppermint essential oil:
- Add a few drops to a diffuser to improve concentration.
- Take a few sniffs from a bottle of essential oil before a workout to improve your energy.
- Add a couple drops to flavor your coffee or tea, and help with digestion.
- For a stuffy nose and/or sore throat, add a couple drops to hot water, and sip.
- To alleviate a headache, add a few drops to a carrier oil, such as coconut oil, and rub a bit on your forehead.
- To freshen your breath and support oral health, add a drop to your toothpaste before brushing.
- If you get sun burnt, add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to a few drops of lavender essential oil and some aloe vera juice. Rub on the affected area.
- To ease nausea, inhale or ingest (diluted in hot water) a few drops of essential oil.
- Add a couple drops to your shampoo or conditioner for stimulating, antiseptic, and refreshing benefits.
All these benefits are great, and I love using peppermint essential oil! But a word of warning here: Never use undiluted internally or externally. Peppermint essential oil, not diluted enough, can burn the skin. I learned the hard way by applying it directly to my face, intending to clear my sinuses. It burned so badly, I couldn’t open my eyes for several minutes! Also, remember that everyone reacts differently to essential oils, so use caution, and consult your heathcare provider, especially if you are using any medications.
Stay healthy, fit, and happy!