I LOVE chocolate – probably more than is good for me. But, hey, some chocolate is good for you, and we all need a little chocolate in our lives! What we don’t need is a bunch more grains. So I created these flour-less brownies that are perfect for those that eat low-carb, paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, or refined-sugar-free. In other words, if you are looking for a healthy and delicious treat, try these!
There are two types of brownies: fudgy/gooey and dry/light. There are two other types of brownies: No add-ins and with add-ins. And there are two last types of brownies: With icing/glaze and without icing/glaze. If you’re the fudgy-brownie type, then check out my Flour-less Black Bean Brownies. However, if you like a drier, lighter brownie with add-ins and a glaze – then keep reading!
These brownies are not only light and airy, they are rich in chocolate. I also added walnuts and coconut flakes to give the them texture and flavor. Usually, vanilla extract is my go-to flavoring, but I was out today. So I opted to go with a less-popular, but equally delicious flavoring – cinnamon and nutmeg. There’s just a little, so it doesn’t over power the rich chocolate flavor – but the spice is still there.
I love adding little extra touches – and who isn’t a fan of a little icing or glaze? But let’s not make it too sweet…food grade orange essential oil adds just the right amount of flavor and orange pairs deliciously with chocolate – in my opinion.
Okay, enough said. That may be the longest recipe description I’ve ever written! On to the recipe!
Flour-less Walnut Spice Brownies
macros/serving: 9.8 grams carbs, 9 grams fat, 3.4 grams protein
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (liquid)
- 4 tablespoons almond butter
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 40 grams Hershey’s 100% Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon stevia, powdered
- 30 grams chopped walnuts
- 20 grams coconut flakes, unsweetened
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8×8 or smaller baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the coconut oil, almond butter, and honey together over medium heat. Stir frequently.
- Add the mixture from the sauce pan to the eggs. Beat thoroughly.
- Add the cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, salt, stevia, and chopped walnuts. Beat thoroughly.
- Add the coconut flakes and stir until just combined. You don’t want them to get to distributed.
- Pour the mixture into the parchment paper lined pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until firm on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Cut and enjoy!
Honey Orange Glaze
macros/serving: 2.9 grams carbs, 2.3 grams fat, 0 grams protein
- 42 grams honey
- 28 grams refined coconut oil (unless you like a strong coconut flavor, then you can use unrefined)
- 10 drops food grade orange essential oil
- In a small sauce pan, melt the coconut oil and honey over medium heat.
- As soon as it’s melted, transfer to temperature-change safe dish, and pop in the freezer.
- Vigorously stir the mixture every 5 minutes for 10-15 minutes total. You’ll know it’s done when it’s a thick, buttery mixture.
- Add the orange essential oil, and stir thoroughly.
- Spread on the brownies while they are still slightly warm. Enjoy!